As 2023 draws to a close, I would like to express sincere gratitude for our work together. I am so impressed at how our community comes together with compassion to support one another, our patients, and their families.
As we grow as a community, we have a lot to celebrate from 2023. A few highlights include:
• We launched Vision 2028 with four strategic priorities
• We welcomed 17 new Clinical and 5 Academic faculty, and 8 of our faculty were promoted
• We received 31 FTE Workload Funding to recruit more clinicians
• Our new Fraser Site launched, and the first two residents started in July
• The Sunny Bear Clinic was created and will continue to support Emergency intake
• Our research funding increased a full 10%
• Late 2023 Fiscal year, BCCH Foundation increased support to hire 10 additional Clinical Fellows for next year
• Our faculty was recognized in 2022 with 24 awards, the highest number in the past decade
• And, we received funding for 12 Associate Physicians, the first department to use this new medical class of physicians licensed by CPSBC.
As we look ahead to the holiday season, I wish you all peace, joy, and time with loved ones,
Steven Paul Miller MDCM FRCPC FRSC
Hudson Family Hospital Chair in Pediatric Medicine, James & Annabel McCreary Chair in Pediatrics
Professor and Head, Pediatrics | Faculty of Medicine | University of British Columbia
Chief, Pediatric Medicine | BC Children’s Hospital